Saturday, February 7, 2009

Bloody Jack : being an account of the curious adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy / L.A. Meyer


Bloody Jack : being an account of the curious adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy by L.A. Meyer is the story of young orphan girl from London in the 18th-century who disguises herself as a young boy and enlists in the Royal Navy as a ship’s boy. Mary “Jacky” Faber distinguishes herself with her, intelligence, her bold nature and her brave deeds and she acquires the name Bloody Jack. After a long time Mary reveals her identity to the boy she has fallen in love with and then the story really gets interesting.

The version of Bloody Jack I partook of was the audio version on CD-ROM. I have not listened to any audio books before and only a few stories on tape. I must say I enjoyed the story in this format and I found that the narrator’s voice was engaging and she kept me interested in the story through all 6 discs. The story is not for very young children, because there is violence, murder and some sexually suggestive situations in the story. I thought the story was quite realistic in it’s portrayal of life on a Navy ship in that period and the suggestion of the unlikely event that a girl could be mistaken for a girl seemed very plausible in the way it was presented. I story is about courage, loyalty, love and integrity.

Meyer, L. A. (Author), & Kellgren, K. (Narrator). (2007). Bloody Jack : being an account of the curious adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy [Sound recording]. Roseland, NJ: Listen & Live Audio.

No comments: